Most Viewed Stories
- Vista Ridge claims boys’ track and field team title for school’s first champion
- TCA survives to win 3A soccer semifinal in OT
- Ramsey: Colorado girls’ soccer needs more yellow cards to mellow play
- Coronado’s Roth, Discovery Canyon’s Spalding, Canon City’s McCoy dominate
- Air Academy pounded in 4A boys' lacrosse final
Boys' cross country coach of the year: Stan Lambros, Cheyenne Mountain
Having a team with seven seniors, fifth-year Cheyenne Mountain boys’ coach Stan Lambros knew the vast potential of his team, one that narrowly missed winning the state title in 2009.
But instead of pressing all the buttons, Lambros, a counselor at Cheyenne Mountain, simply relaxed and let his team take in the moment.
The result was a 107-point victory at the state meet Oct. 30, its first since 2001.
“There’s a fine line between being so uptight that you can’t perform, and so loose that you didn’t care, but we were able to find a sweet spot in between,” Lambros said. “We have a saying, to ‘jib,’ to go out and have fun, just hang out. I enjoyed their work.”
The Indians weren’t a blip on the radar screen three years ago, failing to qualify for state. Lambros then witnessed a committed team turn it around quickly, reaching state the next year before a runner-up finish.
That set the stage for the 2010 run.
“I can’t say enough about our group of boys,” Lambros said. “They’re the best group of leaders I’ve had, regardless of talent.”