Most Viewed Stories
- Ramsey: Cheyenne Mountain should be tough to beat again in 2014
- Two second-half goals land Cheyenne Mountain girls' soccer title
- Ramsey: Distraught TCA misses chances in 3A girls’ soccer final
- TCA misses chances in 1-0 2OT loss to Peak to Peak in 3A girls’ soccer final
- Ramsey: Colorado girls’ soccer needs more yellow cards to mellow play
Field hockey coach of the year: Ali Kornfeld, Fountain Valley
Ali Kornfeld’s second year at Fountain Valley saw improvement, even if that wasn’t reflected in victories for the Danes.
“We were a very young team with small numbers,” Kornfeld said. “We had a lot of beginners who had never picked up a stick before practice began. It was exciting to see them pick up aspects of the game as the season wore on.”
Once the basics are down, Kornfeld’s task is to forge a cohesive unit, which is complicated by Fountain Valley cultural diversity.
“We have to blend the experience with our youth,” Kornfeld said. “We have a diverse team with students from as close as Colorado Springs and Denver, and as far away as Norway and South Korea.”
Kornfeld’s peers recognized the job she has done, voting her to this award despite a 0-9-1 record.