- Manitou Springs' Schwall drives the long ball all the way to state
- JUSTIN FELISKO
- Mattie Schwall remembers always being able to drive the ball farther than almost everyone her age when was she 7 years old and just learning how to play golf.
The current Manitou Springs junior also remembers how the inner perfectionist of her youth... Full story
- Vista Ridge claims boys’ track and field team title for school’s first championship
- KEVIN CARMODY
- LAKEWOOD – As Noah Gabel turned on the jets to reclaim the lead for Vista Ridge on the 1,600-meter relay, his three teammates could sense victory as they urged the senior to the finish line.
Gabel, along with fellow seniors Aaron Johnson, Pier... Full story
- Ramsey: Colorado girls’ soccer needs more yellow cards to mellow play
- DAVID RAMSEY
- PARKER • Soccer is a game of grace and finesse. Or at least it should be.
During a decade of watching Colorado high school girls’ soccer, I’ve seen a variety of questionable tactics. Well, actually, the tactics sometimes travel beyo... Full story
- Coronado’s Roth, Discovery Canyon’s Spalding, Canon City’s McCoy dominate track and field - times two
- BRENT W. NEW
- LAKEWOOD • The only time Coronado standout Bailey Roth struggled at the state track meet was climbing to the top of the nine-step podium Saturday.
Fighting to stay upright after his 4-minute, 18-second win in the 4A state championship 1,600 met... Full story
- Palmer Ridge can't overcome two penalty-kick goals in state semis 2-1 loss
- DAVID RAMSEY
- PARKER • Two first-half penalty kicks were too much for Palmer Ridge to overcome in its 4A state semifinal soccer struggle with Broomfield. The Bears lost, 2-1, Saturday.
The second penalty kick baffled Palmer Ridge coach Nick Odil. The goal ca... Full story
- TCA survives to win 3A soccer semifinal in OT
- BRENT BRIGGEMAN
- DENVER • More than once, The Classical Academy’s season flashed before its eyes. And that was just in the final 2 minutes.
Ultimately, the top-seeded Titans survived a rare deficit and two late breakaway chances for Colorado Academy star ... Full story
- Canon City can't catch Grizzlies in 4A state baseball playoffs
- SCOTT KANIEWSKI
- AURORA - No matter how many times Cañon City tried to rally, Northridge kept its lead. And by the time the No. 4 Tigers’ bats got hot, the score was well out of reach.
Cañon City scored five times in the bottom of the seventh, ye... Full story
- Peyton's errors cost them 2A baseball playoff run
- JOE PAISLEY
- NIWOT - A school record-setting season came to a sudden end for Peyton baseball.
No. 4 seed Lutheran of Parker took advantage of four Panthers errors to score 11 runs in the first inning en route to a 14-1 mercy-rule victory in the regional semifina... Full story
- Air Academy pounded in 4A boys' lacrosse final
- JUSTIN SHAW
- DENVER • Air Academy’s boys’ lacrosse team only lost twice this season, and it happened against the best 4A team in the state both times.
Wheat Ridge defeated the Kadets for the second time in 2013 with a 14-2 rout in the 4A state c... Full story
- Air Academy recaptures 4A boys' swimming crown
- NEAL REID
- THORNTON • Air Academy capped its second straight 4A boys’ swimming state title with an exclamation point Saturday.
Senior Devon Davis, chosen as the 4A Swimmer of the Year after the meet, anchored the winning 400-yard freestyle relay for... Full story