Most Viewed Stories
- Vista Ridge claims boys’ track and field team title for school’s first champion
- TCA survives to win 3A soccer semifinal in OT
- Coronado’s Roth, Discovery Canyon’s Spalding, Canon City’s McCoy dominate
- Ramsey: Colorado girls’ soccer needs more yellow cards to mellow play
- Air Academy pounded in 4A boys' lacrosse final
Cheyenne Mountain's Buckley goes back-to-back in butterfly
THORNTON • Even with a 4A state title to her name in the 100 butterfly, Cheyenne Mountain junior Sydney Buckley still receives a bit of good-natured ribbing for her propensity to start slow.
Then she gets plenty of applause for her nature to end with a flourish.
“Nobody wins the 50 fly,” the junior said after defending her crown in the 100 butterfly Saturday at Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center, site of the 4A state meet. “Everyone says I always come from behind. They give me a hard time.
“But why win the first half of the race?”
Buckley turned on the jets over the final 50, rallying past Pueblo West’s Haley Bertoldo and D’Evelyn’s Brenna Bushey to touch first in 56.41 seconds.
“I was unbelievably nervous,” Buckley said. “It was a hard year with thoughts of having to defend the title on my back. I’m glad it’s over. I’m really thankful for Haley. She’s such a great competitor. Without her pushing me, I couldn’t do what I do.”