Most Viewed Stories
- Prep notebook: Memorial Day all-star baseball games for top prep players
- Ramsey: Distraught TCA misses chances in 3A girls’ soccer final
- TCA misses chances in 1-0 2OT loss to Peak to Peak in 3A girls’ soccer final
- Ramsey: Cheyenne Mountain should be tough to beat again in 2014
- Falcon reopens football coach search after Gille can’t secure teaching position
Girls' swimming coach of the year: Kate Doane, Cheyenne Mountain
Four years ago, when Kate Doane took the reins of the Cheyenne Mountain girls’ swimming program, the team was far off the pace of other top programs in the state.
Last month in Thornton, the Indians continued their gradual climb, finishing second at the 4A state meet for the school’s best finish in a decade.
From a pair of eighth-place finishes in 2009-10, Doane led the Indians' leap to fourth by 2011 and third-place showing in 2012.
“To come out second is like winning the state meet,” Doane said. “It has taken those years to make this improvement. It comes down to trust, and it has taken time for that to happen. We trust each other and believe what we’re doing. We work together.”