Most Viewed Stories
- Prep notebook: Memorial Day all-star baseball games for top prep players
- Falcon reopens football coach search after Gille can’t secure teaching position
- Cheyenne Mountain wins 5th straight girls' tennis team title
- Ramsey: Cheyenne Mountain should be tough to beat again in 2014
- Two second-half goals land Cheyenne Mountain girls' soccer title
Missy Franklin sets 2 more records to help Regis win 5A team title
Missy Franklin broke two more state records Saturday. In the 200 individual medley, Franklin, a Regis Jesuit swimmer, touched the wall nearly 5 seconds before any other swimmer in 1:56.85. She set the previous record of 1:58.22 Friday at preliminaries.
Then, Franklin won the 500 freestyle in wash-out form. She broke Bonnie Brandon’s record of 4:43.52 with a time of 4:41.72.
The wide-grinned senior is glad she decided to give high school swimming one more go.
“Knowing that this is the last time I’d have a Regis cap on my head – that’s why I did it,” Franklin said. “As I got on the (team) bus today I wondered if I hadn’t done (high school swimming) what would I be doing right now. And I knew it would be wishing I was on that bus.”
Franklin, winner of four Olympic gold medals at the 2012 London Games, will swim at Cal Berkley next season.
Franklin helped Regis capture the team 5A state championship.